
Reprinted from my note originally published on Facebook:
Once again it is time to post my top five books of 2009. Despite finishing graduate school last May, I haven’t done as much reading as I would have liked. However, I have usually been reading at least one book at all times. These five books are the ones that have impacted me and/or stimulated my thinking greatly
5. YOUthwork by Don Pearson and Paul Santhouse. As a junior high youth ministry leader, I really appreciated this book containing 99 practical ideas for youthworkers, parents, and volunteers. The book was obviously written by individuals with many years of youth ministry experience. I learned much from the book and appreciated their perspective.
4. Living by the Book by Howard and William Hendricks. This book presented many strategies for digging into Bible study. The techniques presented for observation, investigation, interpretation, and application have been integrated into my personal Bible study habits. This is a book that I will need to return to repeatedly as I continue to grow.
3. Why We Love the Church by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. In a time when many individuals are stating that the church is outdated and must change, this book presented a well researched and stated rebuttal to the arguments being presented by Barna, Viola, and others. In addition to addressing the arguments, the authors were very proactive in stating why they love the church (hence the title): in praise of institutions and organized religion. This book has reminded me why I love the local church that I am blessed to be a part of.
2. Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor. This was a fascinating biography of missionary and founder of the China Inland Mission Hudson Taylor written by his son and daughter-in-law back in the 1930’s. I was deeply moved by Hudson Taylor’s passion for the people in China and his devotion to prayer and complete trust in the Lord for his provisions. After reading the book, I long for the same passion for those that the Lord has placed in my life, a deeper prayer life, and an unwavering faith in all circumstances.
1. Forgotten God by Francis Chan. For those who know me well, this probably isn’t much of a surprise. Francis Chan has been my favorite “online” pastor for several years and his previous book Crazy Love was my top book for 2008. This immensely practical (and convicting) book about the role of the Holy Spirit (and the tragic neglect of Him) in the Christian’s life is one that I will reread repeatedly for many years to come.
There have been many other good books that I have read this last year; however, these are ones that topped my list.
No comments:
Post a Comment