Throughout the year, I have had the opportunity to read many books. Despite the required reading and assignments for graduate school, I always try to be reading at least one book. These books have varied in length and genre. After reflecting on the different books that I have read, I thought that I would list my “top five”. These five books ended at the top of the list because they significantly stimulated my thinking, self-reflection, and call to action in my life. All of the books are quite short, the longest at 385 pages. I highly recommend all of these books.
5. Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World (C.J. Maheney ed.; 2008). This 171 page book delves into the topic of how Christians are to be in the world but not of the world as it comes to media, music, stuff, and clothing choices. It avoids the typical legalistic avoidance approaches to many of these topics but rather formulates a very well-grounded biblical response.
4. Foxe’s Book of Martyrs (John Foxe, 2001 updated edition). This classic book, originally written in 1563 chronicles the martyrs for Christ throughout the century, beginning with Stephen. This edition, updated in today’s language continues into the twenty-first century. The heart-wrenching book is an encouragement to live for Christ, no matter the cost. The blessed individuals in the book understood what Jesus meant when He said “take up your crosses daily and follow Me.”
3. Teaching to Change Lives (Howard Hendricks, 1987). Even though I did not first read this book in 2008, I reread it at least three times this year. As I strive to grow as a teacher, this book presents strategies to make “teaching come alive”. Each time I read it I learn something from it. This is probably the best “ministry book” I have on my shelf. I was especially blessed to have been able to work through the book with Matt Nyberg in an online discussion format earlier this year. We both learned much and grew together.
2. Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins we Tolerate (Jerry Bridges, 2007). Jerry Bridges is one of my favorite authors; I have read his classic The Pursuit of Holiness many times. This book cut to the heart of addressing the “little sins” that I/we tend to accept and tolerate rather than hate as God hates them. These sins include jealousy, anger, pride, unthankfulness, and judgmentalism. This is a book that I need to reread and do another “heart check” in my own life.
1. Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Francis Chan, 2008). Francis Chan is my favorite “online pastor” and conference speaker that I have seen. His sermons cut to the heart. This book is no exception as it addresses the status quo of American Christianity. Instead of serving God “leftovers”, we must be giving God our first and whole heart with all that we are and have. Through our “crazy love” for Him and out of obedience, Chan challenges us to move beyond the status quo into radical obedience. I just finished reading this book again and have so much going on in my head on how to live differently- but haven’t quite figured it out yet.
Well, those are my top five books. Many more good books could have been included, but as stated previously, these were the five that have really impacted my life over the past year. Please feel free to comment if you have read these books about how they have impacted you
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment